What is Google@Brookes?
Google@Brookes is based on Google Apps Education Edition and supplied under contract as a service to Brookes by Google. It includes a number of applications (Apps), which are available to staff and students.
Three of these applications are particularly important:
- Google Mail
Provides an email system with greatly increased mail storage space and anytime-anywhere access through an innovative web-based interface. Your current Brookes email address is unchanged.
- Google Calendar
Is the standard electronic calendar (diary) system for the University for both staff and students.
- Google Contacts
Provides a directory of Brookes staff and students as well as your own lists of contacts for use in email and calendar appointments as well as the other Apps.
If your email or documents are likely to contain any sensitive University or personal information you are advised to activate the Google "2-step verification" feature which adds an extra layer of security to your account. You will find this feature in your Google Account Settings.
In addition to these three, there are several other applications. You can use them or not as you wish. We encourage you to experiment with them as they offer useful tools, which could make your work easier and more efficient:
- Google Docs Allows you to create text documents, spreadsheets and presentations similar to Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint files. Collaboration is easy and enables you to share your files with other people both within Brookes and outside. Also more than one person can edit the documents, at the same time if necessary.
- Google Sites Allows you to easily create simple web sites to present and share information, including Google Docs and other files such as Microsoft Office and PDF files.
- Google Talk Google's Instant Messaging or "chat" service. It allows you to send short text messages instantly to other users. You can also use speech (if you have a microphone) and video (if you have a web-cam) to make 1:1 voice calls and video calls.
- Google Tasks A simple task manager, which can be used with Google Mail and Calendar.
- Google Video Allows the sharing of videos and provides another way to communicate and share information. Uploading of videos is by arrangement with Google@Brookes administrators (contact firstname.lastname@example.org with requests).